Diabetes is a group of metabolic disorders characterized by high blood glucose levels over a prolonged period of time. It affects hundreds of millions of people in the world, thus causing the deaths of millions as well yearly if left untreated.
There are several studies that support this. A 2013 study spanning 5 years and involving 4,657 respondents revealed that cannabis users showed 16% less fasting insulin levels, and had 17% less insulin resistance. Obesity is also one of the most significant risk factors for developing diabetes. In 2012 study, overweight rats were successfully able to lose a significant amount of weight and also experienced an improvement in pancreas weight after being administered with organic cannabis extract. A healthier pancreas helps keep diabetes under control.
Both THC and CBD, and CBD oil, have its own healing properties when it comes to treating diabetes, but when it comes to choosing the right strain, those with a higher CBD content are highly recommended. However, if you are not prone to anxiety or the munchies, you may also use strains that have some THC content.
If you are considering using cannabis for diabetes, here are some strains widely used to treat this condition:
- Cannatonic is an excellent strain, well-known for its healing properties thanks to a high amount of CBD and low THC. This hybrid strain is widely used for many medical cannabis patients including those who suffer from diabetes. Although it’s a hybrid, Cannatonic presents more indica-like effects, making it ideal for evening medication or when you don’t have to be productive. Some Cannatonic strains have CBD levels of as much as 17% which makes it ideal especially if you are also suffering from some pain or stress. Cannatonic is also used to treat muscle spasms, migraines, anxiety, pain, and mental disorders.
- Harlequin is a rare strain but possesses powerful medicinal properties, so consider yourself lucky if you can get your hands on it. Harlequin is a great choice for diabetes patients because of its high CBD and low THC content, and it will help you feel rejuvenated and alert thanks to it being 75% sativa. Harlequin is best used in afternoons, but it won’t get you high. It’s also therapeutic for those who suffer from arthritis and chronic pain. If you are the type who enjoys creative or artistic activities as a means of dealing with stress, Harlequin is the strain for you.
- Green Crack is the perfect strain if you need to medicate during the day. This strain gets its name from the laser-sharp focus that it delivers patients, so you can be assured you’ll get to enjoy a rejuvenating and energizing buzz. Green Crack is highly recommended especially for diabetes patients who also suffer from depression and fatigue. One of the best aspects of this strain is that you won’t suffer from a mental crash, which is typical of sativa-heavy hybrids and strong sativas. Don’t use Green Crack before bedtime because you can expect this strain to keep you up and alert for a few hours after you consume it.
- Super Sour Diesel is the love child of Super Silver Haze and Sour Diesel. This strain delivers the best effects of its parent strains, and also has an excellent flavor profile. It has a strong pungent flavor, similar to that of diesel. This is another energizing strain ideal for diabetes patients who are stressed and fatigued. However, avoid Super Sour Diesel if you are prone to headaches as in some cases this has been known to make it worse. Other than that, Super Sour Diesel is a fantastic strain for diabetes patients.
- Blue Dream is one of the most widely used cannabis strains for medicinal purposes, including diabetes. This sativa-dominant hybrid is considered legendary in the industry because of its therapeutic effects and the calm euphoria it produces. Blue Dream is ideal for medicating any time of day; it will relax you without putting you to sleep, but it can also help lull you into slumber if you are tired. Blue Dream is beneficial for diabetes patients who experience headaches, stress, pain, and depression as well.